Although a week has passed since my last summary of reflections; a collection of thoughts, observations and opinions can be synthesized into one entry. My efforts will be made to impart not fleeting thoughts but a more summative approach to my ruminations.
The presentation of procedures by Leah and Katie are a refreshing approach to demontrate a procedure. I am uncertain about the differences between a demonstration or experience to reflect a procedure. Nonetheless, if the goal is to share a procedure and illustrate the procedure with an activity, I think it was successful. If the goal is for our class to experience a procedure, that too was successful-hmm. Perhaps there is no difference between an experience of a procedure or demonstration of a procedure. I leave that to you, should I need further clarification. On a more practical level, I think the weekly procedures are a helpful tool that I will be using in my class.
I want to thank you for providing me with a ticket to see and experience Barbara Colorusso. I currently teach adults, particularly newcomers to Kingston who are enrolled in the LINC program-a federally funded program for newcomers to acquire the language skills and to facilitate their integration to Canada. My attention throughout this poignant talk by Ms. Coloroso was not so much on the pedagogical issues related to her discussion, but more self-seeking in hopes of gathering some insight I could apply to my two children and their issues in school.
I left Coloroso's lecture moved by her abilities to speak publicly-as she so fluently moved from one message to another: to raise the fourth character to resist and address the bully and the notion of our society obsessed with the 'what's in it for me' attitude. Encouraging these philosophical queries further thought seemed much more compelling than a list of do's and don'ts regarding bullying. Throughout the week I have been obsessed with drawing a balance between encouraging positive behaviour with rewards versus fostering good behaviour for the simple sake of being good. This has been a personal challenge to practice at home with the children and at work in a classroom setting.
With these brief thoughts, I am left with further rumination and will continue to become more aware of the many strategies we use to cultivate compassion, support and creativity in our classrooms, at home and at work. Perhaps one component of the art of teaching relates to such cultivation.
No comments:
Post a Comment