This is an earlier blog entry that was never sent. The blogging seemed at the time too instantaneous. I understand that drafts are available; but if possible, writing thoughts in a word document that can be edited and added to numerous times throughout a week works better for me.
Dear Tom,
I believe last week I failed to Blog you since I have been rather distracted with ailments and kids at the home front. Although it has been nothing more than the sniffles, fevers and continual demands of children, work and school; an explanation was required.
Since my last Blog, further reading regarding teaching and its many facets continue to evolve. As I enter my classroom of eager adults hungry for acquiring not only our English language but the many concerns any newcomer would have about living in Canada ; I can not help dissociate my self from my teaching and look at my teaching style as an observer. It has been suggested that many who dissociate are partaking in a coping mechanism of stress-removing oneself as a way to cope. However, I am doubtful that this is what is happening, rather taking this class has prompted me to self examine and explore my teaching beyond the daily reflection of my lesson plan.
As Loughran continually returns to the notion that at the heart of pedagogy, there lies the relationship between teaching and learning. Without a doubt, returning to school and having to deal with the demands placed on a student gently reminds me of what my students are going through as well.
Loughran discusses a good portion in Chapter 5 on processing. Much is discussed regarding propositional knowledge and short term versus long term memory. He clearly outlines varying procedures to help with processing but neglects to refer to variables that impact processing such as gender, age, culture, language and the subject taught.
With regards to Brookfield ’s book, so far it focuses less on procedures or strategies and more weight is given to exploring the role of a teacher and its many facets. I think having the opportunity to read both are complementary, a deliberate choice on your part possibly.
There are many helpful tactics and suggestions given throughout both selected books but I particularly was interested in the critical incident questionnaire (CIQ). This form of collecting feedback from students echoes the underlying premise that teachers should know what’s going on in the classroom and the awareness of the experience of learning by the students. I recognize that you have adopted many of these strategies (our blog, our journals, our tickets to leave, much elicitation, and implementing the acts of procedures); thereby practicing what we are reflecting on and reading about. Well done!
This explorative learning is most certainly helpful in having me reflect on my teaching but whether such reflection is creating new improved behaviors, I’ll have to wait and receive further feedback from my learners.
No comments:
Post a Comment