Your blog title made me think of the one I've just inserted for this one! Many teachers eventually seem to realize that there are times when doing less is more helpful than doing more. It's a reminder that it is very easy to overwork oneself as a teacher, not always going in the best directions.
Schon isn't about what do I do in this very complex teaching situation. I take him to be about responding to puzzling and surprising moments when we are in such complex situations as a teacher. They may be rare, but there are moments when we arrive at a different way of thinking about one or more of those complex elements of the situation. Some of them may suggest a different approach, which needs to be tried to see if it is more productive. If it isn't, the new way of thinking about the situation wasn't very helpful, but if it is more productive, then it's worth exploring that new view further.
so my advice would be to pay particular attention to moments when the way that one or more students responds surprises you and gets you thinking again... then you have a shot at moving ahead.
I know it sounds complex, and it is, but it's also very rewarding!
Tom
No comments:
Post a Comment