As I head into my last class for 813, mixed feelings surface. Perhaps today this is my last CIQs and I am left with feelings of personal gratification from simply completing assignments and fulfilling commitments; nonetheless, under conditions that were at times stressful. I hold conflictual feelings of satisfaction in my contributions as well as having the feeling of doubt in whether I could have accomplished more. Perhaps notions of metagcognition, reflection in action versus reflection for action, the value of prior knowledge, self directed learning versus teacher directed learning, schema theory, and the general concept of teaching has been qualified but certainly not coherently understood. I recognize that these are loaded terms that will necessitate further understanding and reflection. I am inspired to learn more about all of these concepts and have become that much more aware of their meaning in an active teaching and learning process. I am walking away with many feelings of maturation as a teacher and learner.
I am grateful to you, Tom for creating a unique weekly experience unlike so many other professional development opportunities I have had in the past. I have enjoyed not only learning so much from my classmates and colleagues but have gained so many insights of my own biases, preferences and patterns of teaching. I have thoroughly enjoyed the guest speakers you organized, particularly having the opportunity to listen to Barbara Coloroso. As well, although naturally intimidated with meeting Loughran, what a great chance that was to meet the author of so many of the ideas we have discussed over the last eleven weeks.
I think that the common proverb used in class a while back: "when the student is ready, the teacher appears" seems applicable but wouldn't it be an ambitious undertaking to look at how better to prepare students for the readiness, so that the teacher will appear. Perhaps the facilitation of getting us (teachers) to become better aware or cognizant of what we're doing, would help us become more attuned with transformative learning and would allow us to make changes to our teaching behavior.
So many of my teaching practices have been highly influenced by my former learning experiences. This seems like a natural and somewhat productive process. However, when you can discern how the way you have been taught from the way it needs to be taught, that is an added strategy highly reinforced from this class.
Thank you again for fostering my continual but added interest in sdl and building a little confidence towards my life long learning journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment